de . en
The
Fellows'
Network
 
History
Akademie Schloss Solitude is located in the two officer and cavalier buildings on the grounds of Schloss (castle) Solitude. Built by Duke Carl Eugen in 1763-64, Schloss Solitude is a late-Baroque structure originally used as a hunting castle and summer residence. The Akademie is just the most recent chapter in the castle’s varied, 250-year-long history: In wartime it was used as a military hospital, while in peacetime it has served as an inn or prison, spa, radio reception station, and, in the 1960s and 1970s, a student dormitory.